DescriptionPrimary Job Purpose:
The Payroll Accountant is responsible for performing a variety of general ledger accounting and reconciliation functions as well as standard payroll calculations. This position requires a demonstrated commitment to attention to detail, quality, and accuracy.
Competencies and Knowledge:
- Performs a wide variety of accounting functions related to biweekly payroll of the companies.
- Establishes and maintains a close working relationship with the payroll department and the accounting department to ensure the accounting properly reflects the operations. Responsibilities include ensuring compliance with accounting policies and procedures, as well as resolving accounting related problems, including management fees and payroll.
- Completes monthly reconciliation of General Ledger liability accounts. Includes writing of journal entries to make corrections and work with cost and financial accounting staff.
- Complete account reconciliations on payroll deductions, taxes withheld and paid.
- Completes monthly balancing of payroll dollar interface into the financial system general ledger accounts.
- Performs regular reviews of operating accounts for various payroll areas.
- Prepares materials for external or internal auditors.
- Prepares bonus calculations for payroll and reclassifications between departments relating to payroll allocation.
- Working knowledge of state, federal and local tax regulations and laws.
- Supports the employee benefits team ensuring that employee deductions are accurate, balanced and reconciled each pay cycle.
- Has knowledge of various employee benefits to include HSA, 401k, life insurance etc and how they impact the employee.
- Completes reporting on highly compensated employees for state insurance reporting.
- Ensures all month-end processes are followed and completed in a timely and accurate manner.
- Strong computer skills including spreadsheet development, report generation and presentation development. Strong Microsoft Excel skills and experience.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, including presentation skills and the ability to communicate and coordinate activities with varying levels of staff, leaders and external vendors.
- Ability to exercise judgment and discretion regarding confidential and sensitive matters.
- Conducts bi-weekly audits of payroll processing files and data ensuring employees are paid on an accurate and timely basis.
- Develop monthly metrics for all payroll related functions.
- Working knowledge of Lawson, Oracle, Peoplesoft payroll systems helpful.
- Normally to be proficient in the competencies listed above:
- Payroll Accountant would have a Bachelor?s degree in Finance, Accounting, Business, Human Resources or related field with 3 years Payroll experience or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Experience with Lawson is preferred.
FPC or CPP preferred
General Functions and Outcomes:
- Supports payroll activities across all locations maintaining a high level of work quality.
- Reviews department procedures and recommends changes or updates and assists with implementation activities.
- Works with various internal departments to resolve system issues.
- Recommends actions when problems or issues related to Payroll reconciliations are identified.
- Runs reports on PeopleSoft to ensure correct posting of payroll liabilities and expenses.
- Assists in the maintenance and development of desk procedures, policies and procedures.
- May assist in generating user documentation for processes, policies and procedures in response to business changes and ensures staff are updated on any changes or modifications.
- Ability to respond to all internal/external questions pertaining to employee time cards.
Job RequirementsEducation Required: High School
Experience Required: 1-3 Years
Last updated on 09/06/2018
Pay determined upon experience.
Are you interested in this position? Please complete our On-Line Application. Please note that your application will remain on file for 90 days for consideration for any of our open positions that match your qualifications.
If you have completed our on-line application in the last 90 days you can send a letter of interest to the recruiter hiring for this position at email@example.com. Please include a copy of your resume with your email or application.