Performs advanced and complex clerical and administrative duties to support a complete and specialized departmental function; does related work as required. Employees in this classification require considerable knowledge of complete and specialized departmental functions and are responsible for completing tasks at all phases of departmental function. Completing work assignments will frequently require the interpretation of governing regulations, policies, and procedures. Public Works Engineering Support Specialists are frequently called upon to explain complex departmental policies and procedures to both the public and other employees. Incumbents in this class work with relative independence. Work is performed under general supervision and is reviewed primarily through results attained. This position may exercise technical and functional direction and guidance over clerical employees.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
(Illustrative Only. Any single position in this classification will not necessarily involve all the listed duties below. However, the duties listed may not include all duties expected to be performed. These duties represent the essential functions needed of persons in this classification.)
- Assists the public in person and by phone; answer complex questions and make interpretations of departmental policies and procedures when conveying information to the public, other departments, and employees. Handles complaints.
- Creates and processes encroachment permits, access permits, special permits, and other types of permit application processes for engineering. Collects fees for permits. Ability to read and understand legal property descriptions, surveys, plat maps, and easements for creating permits.
- Creates contract documents for public infrastructure improvements (and other County departments? needs). Must have general knowledge of Federal, State, and Local Governments contract requirements, understanding of BOLI contracting laws and requirements, Request for Proposal or Request for Qualification publishing guidelines, construction change orders, and construction bid tabs. Assures public notice requirements are met.
- Finalize all contract document requirements and other paperwork upon completion of the project.
- Process and track pre-qualified contractor approvals and insurance requirements.
- Correspond with contractors regarding contract awards, pre-qualification requirements, general information. Upon supervisor direction, initiates cease and desist orders for work in the County ROW.
- Trains, monitors, and provides functional guidance to other clerical staff in general office procedures and policies and general Engineering support needs.
- Develop and maintain effective and cooperative working relationships with other county departments, government agencies, contractors and consultants, and the public.
- Attend workgroup-related meetings, take notes, and prepare minutes.
- Plan?s layout of reports and statistical tables. Review reports/documents to identify and trace sources of error; make necessary adjustments.
- Researches and recommends changes in policies and procedures affecting assigned functions.
- Type forms, letters, memos, reports, and file cards; makes copies. Gathers data, files, sorts, checks, and maintains records, receipts money.
- Performs moderately complex mathematical computations such as percentages and interest to complete assignments.
- Explains departmental policies and procedures and governing regulations to the public, volunteers, and/or other employees.
Job RequirementsEducation Required: High School
Experience Required: Entry Level
Last updated on 05/05/2021
Are you interested in this position? Please complete our On-Line Application. Please note that your application will remain on file for 90 days for consideration for any of our open positions that match your qualifications.
If you have completed our on-line application in the last 90 days you can send a letter of interest to the recruiter hiring for this position at email@example.com. Please include a copy of your resume with your email or application.
Personnel Source, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer.