PHARMACY SERVICE TECHNICIAN
The Pharmacy Services Technician is a corporate-wide technical support resource for pharmacy benefit, reimbursement, and other drug use issues which do not require clinical judgment. This function assists the Clinical Pharmacy Consultants and Pharmacy Services staff with formulary-related operations and other operational processes which require knowledge and experience with pharmaceuticals.
Minimum Job Qualifications and Technical Competencies
- High school graduate; college graduate preferred.
- Minimum of 5 years of experience as a pharmacy technician in a retail, hospital, or other licensed pharmacy setting; or equivalent combination of education and experience in a related field. Pharm Tech Certification may be substituted for 2 years of experience.
Direct customer service experience
- Medical terminology.
- Pharmaceutical products, including orals, injectables, infusion products, and chemotherapy.
- Health care coding systems such as ICD•9, CPT, and HCPCS.
- General office practices and procedures.
- Grammar and techniques of business practice.
- HIPAA regulations
- Interact effectively with a variety of health care professionals, including physicians, nurses, pharmacists, and billing staff both internally and externally.
- Ability to provide exceptional service to customers
- Demonstrate maturity, tact, diplomacy, and persuasiveness.
- Perform pharmaceutical pricing calculations.
- Type 30 words per minute, 60 wpm preferred.
- Operate a variety of standard business machines including calculators, copiers, and faxes.
- Operate computer programs (Word, Excel, etc.).
- Organize, plan, and prioritize daily workflow and projects within time constraints.
Experience with health insurance and/or prescription benefits.
- Performs all duties as described in this document unless doing so would require clinical judgement. In any situation in which clinical judgment is necessary, the Pharmacy Services Technician will seek assistance from appropriate medical personnel. Appropriate medical personnel will be available for support during normal business hours.
- Responds to non-clinical pharmacy issues from customers, providers, and pharmacy services staff . These pharmacy issues include formulary drug coverage, and pricing for drug options.
- Completes daily medication list operational processes, including identification of new generic medications, package sizes and formulations and cost-saving opportunities.
- Communicates (orally, digitally, and by written documentation) information and determinations to providers and customers as necessary.
- Obtains and organizes drug utilization data, including patient specific and population based data, in a manner which facilitates clinical review and decisions by Clinical Pharmacist Consultants. Organizing data includes but is not limited to sorting drugs into appropriate therapeutic and generic categories.
- Assists with identifying medication-related claims and cases to identify opportunities for consumers to save on prescription medications.
- Supports wellness and disease state management programs.
- Contributes to and supports the corporation’s quality initiatives through process improvement teams and by encouraging team and individual contributions toward the corporation’s quality improvement efforts.
- Conducts business in compliance with company’s Code of Business Conduct, immediately reports violations of the code to management, human resources, internal audit, legal of the compliance officer; and helps in investigating alleged wrongdoing.
EXPECTATIONS OF ALL CONTINGENT WORKFORCE
Job Requirements & Worksite Info
28.00 - 30.00
Are you interested in this position? Please complete our On-Line Application. Please note that your application will remain on file for 90 days for consideration for any of our open positions that match your qualifications.
If you have completed our on-line application in the last 90 days you can send a letter of interest to the recruiter hiring for this position at email@example.com. Please include a copy of your resume with your email or application.