PAYROLL TAX ACCOUNTANT - 6 MTH CONTRACT PORTLAND
Independently responsible for the filing of Local, State, and Federal Payroll taxes. Maintains compliance with all entities, while conducting continuous in-depth research of tax laws and regulations to ensure Regence remains current in processing monthly, quarterly and annual Payroll taxes.
Minimum Job Qualifications and Technical Competencies
- BS/BA degree in Accounting, Finance or Business with four years experience in Payroll; or equivalent combination of education and job related experience.
- Knowledge of principles of Payroll tax accounting embodied in the Internal Revenue Code and Treasury Regulations.
- Demonstrated in-depth knowledge of multi state monthly, quarterly and annual Payroll Tax filings.
- Demonstrated in-depth knowledge of Federal, State, and Local Tax laws.
- Knowledge of Lawson payroll system preferred
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office software.
- Knowledge of mathematical principles to calculate wage and withholding information.
- Ability to complete job assignments within strict time frames with minimal supervision.
- Ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Ability to think analytically and make sound judgments from analysis.
- Ability to exercise judgment and discretion in confidential and sensitive matters.
- Performs back-up to Payroll Team.
- Completes and files monthly, quarterly and annual reports for tax reporting purposes, including: all W-2 related tasks, census and workers compensation reporting.
- Pay’s all State Withholdings within states in which Regence is present.
- Responsible for paying Federal and State Taxes for states in which Regence has a presence, in accordance with mandated due dates.
- Acts as internal tax subject matter expert. Primary Regence contact with federal, state, and regulatory agencies regarding employee withholdings and employer taxes and reporting.
- Contributes to annual external audits.
- Files State and Federal Unemployment 940 & 941 forms.
- Prepares vouchers and wire transfer requests to fund payroll, 401k contributions, executive deferrals and tax deposits as necessary.
- Communicates tax errors, corrections, and items out of the ordinary to individual employees as well as reporting up to management.
- Reviews daily, weekly, and monthly reports generated from Lawson. Researches unusual error messages or report data to identify processing errors.
- Processes and posts funding of non-qualified deferred compensation payments.
- Track “F1 VISA” on employee pay to insure correct withholdings.
- Tests all payroll tax system upgrades and enhancements prior to implementation into production.
- Independently process all month end and year end close tasks related to Payroll taxes.
- Establish new states for telecommuters, ensuring tax reporting is correct.
OTHER JOB DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Provides detailed payroll tax reports as needed
Job Requirements & Worksite Info
22.50 - 24.00
Are you interested in this position? Please complete our On-Line Application. Please note that your application will remain on file for 90 days for consideration for any of our open positions that match your qualifications.
If you have completed our on-line application in the last 90 days you can send a letter of interest to the recruiter hiring for this position at email@example.com. Please include a copy of your resume with your email or application.