Community Support Specialist
The purpose of this position is to assist Veterans and their families in applying to receive services through the company with short term and long-term solutions. The Community Support Specialist works directly with participants to assist them in navigating through resources and processes (rental application and requirements, etc.) to obtain/sustain housing. A Community Support Specialist works to engage the participant in the spheres of being independent, working through those barriers that may keep them from achieving their own definition of self-sufficiency. This includes, but is not limited to, emergency assistance and using a holistic approach in long-term, in-depth case management. This position will work within an office environment, although some travel may be required.
Position Duties Responsibilities
- Maintain a minimum caseload of families and/or individuals as determined by the company
- Interview and screen, work with the Program Supervisor to determine participant eligibility for Federal and State Assistance programs.
- Assist the participant in setting short term & long-term goals to obtain a greater level of sustainability following the department and funding stream processes and procedures.
- Provide support through positive social interactions with participants in one-on-one settings in order to build mutual trust and build positive relationships. Serve as an advocate for participants and their families to help meet their housing goals. Remain connected to participants after exiting the program to offer additional support as needed.
- Monitor progress and keep track of their status using prevention techniques to avoid falling back into homelessness.
- Refer participants to other the company programs and external resources as appropriate.
- Ensure that participant files are maintained and data entry is completed in an accurate and timely manner, utilizing internal and grant funding databases and filing systems, in accordance with the company criteria and process. Accuracy and attention to detail within all aspects of working with the participant, including but not limited to: keeping clear and current case notes; providing correct coding on vouchers; providing correct information for other types of reporting.
- Take appropriate action to deal with any homeless emergency. With clinical social worker assistance, may provide crisis intervention and emotional support through times of emergency.
- Belief in the company’s mission to help people help themselves.
- At least 1 year of case management experience or similar experience involving working closely with participants and determining eligibility.
- Ability to interact effectively with a variety of individuals and groups from varying educational, ethnic and socioeconomic backgrounds to include listening, sensitivity to the others feelings, needs, point of view, tact and courtesy in expressing opinions or ideas.
- Must have good interpersonal, written communication, and oral communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with customers and co-workers, sustain confidentiality.
- Excellent computer skills including proficiency in software programs including but not limited to Microsoft Office products and web based applications.
- Must be able to multitask in a variety of areas.
- Ability to work flexible hours, and at times in poor weather. Willingness and ability to adjust to changing conditions or priorities.
- Must have a High School Diploma or equivalent.
- Valid Oregon Drivers license with record that is acceptable under the company insurance policies.
Job Requirements & Worksite Info
13.50 - 15.75
Are you interested in this position? Please complete our On-Line Application. Please note that your application will remain on file for 90 days for consideration for any of our open positions that match your qualifications.
If you have completed our on-line application in the last 90 days you can send a letter of interest to the recruiter hiring for this position at email@example.com. Please include a copy of your resume with your email or application.